- livestock farming is one of the leading causes of deforestation as well as water pollution – 14.5% of all global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by it.
- if every person on this planet went vegan we could stop crossing the 2 degree mark of climate change, which will probably be reached in 12 years if everything stays the same.
- methane is over 80 times more potent at warming the planet than CO2 – so livestock farming is playing a big role in climate change.
- ham, bacon and salami are proven to higher the risk of getting cancer significantly.
- most soy is not consumed by vegans/vegetarians, but by meat eaters, as they (indirectly) take it in with their meat, as soy is the major food for cattle, hens and pork.
- the average EU citizen consumes about 60 kg of soy yearly (via meat consumption), which leads to deforestation around the world, as soy for animals is mainly imported.
- for the production of one single beef patty, you could shower for 90 minutes.
- 100g of beef results in about 100kg of greenhouse gas
100g of organic tofu results in about 3.5 kg of greenhouse gas
- Veggies that pack more protein than meat:
– Black beans (1 cup equals 50g pork or 80g chicken)
-Almonds (1/4 cup equals 1 cup of full fat milk)
-Buckwheat (1 cooked cup equals one cooked egg)
-Organic Tempeh (18g equals 100g chicken)